Friday, January 30, 2009

Rabat deux

So it turns out Rabat is the capital of Morocco. Embarassing. For me, not Morocco. Rabat is a really cool city. Yesterday I went to the medina, which I understand to be Arabic for the old walled city, usually containing the souks, which are the open air markets full of snake charmers and monkey wranglers, among other less savory characters.

Ross and I went to the beach, which had 2 lonely surfers and a horde of kids playing soccer on the beach, with the requisite old Moroccan gentlemen drinking coffee on the shore. Ross and I joined the old Moroccan gentlemen for a bit of coffee and gossip, then went down to the beach and inexplicably began collecting very small seashells. Time well spent.

I still don't know if they are policing tourists or policing for tourists.

No comments: