Monday, August 27, 2007

3 Days In

I’ve been in Taiwan for a couple of days now. My initial thoughts are 1) It is very hot. 2) My apartment is very well air-conditioned. 3) Food is really expensive. I spend at least 1.50 every time I go out for dumplings, and I spent 3 dollars on noodles once. Fortunately I am in a forgiving mood because the boba milk tea is on point and the girls dress in something that resembles grown-up clothing.

I have primarily been running various errands as I wait for school to start on the 3rd. I have had to register for an Alien Registration Card, open a Taiwanese bank account (at the post office, no less!) take a humiliating placement exam for Chinese classes, and deal with all manner of slumlords as I try to find an apartment that satisfactorily balances distance from school with the size of the inevitable cockroach infestation.

No comments: